5/23/2011

Vancouver Religious Society of Friends (Quaker)

Yesterday, Sunday May 22nd, I visited the Vancouver Religious Society of Friends (a Quaker meeting house near Oak and 70th).  Outstanding features of this Christian sect include, a belief that god is accessible to all individuals and a connection with him does not require an intermediary like a priest or preacher. God is seen as an infinite being that created and perpetually preserves the universe. To the Quakers, God continually reveals divine principles or commandments to humanity. They believe that god is inside them and spend a lot of time just listening for his voice. Hence, the service I attended was almost completely silent.



Historically, the Quakers have a long tradition of pacifism that includes involvement in the anti-slavery movement in the states, women's lib, refusal to participate in wars, and various other cracks at social justice.

Length of Ceremony: 1.5 hours

Theme: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Entertainment Factor/Ceremony: The morning of the Quaker god shop was pretty hectic. I was awakened by a friend 20 minutes before the service started. Still drunk, I rode my bike faster than ever before. I arrived sweating liquor and gasping for breath to a room of 11 older adults staring at the floor.

I took the opportunity to really size up the "friends" of this congregation. Most of them were over 50 and wearing comfortable slacks.

The silence continued and as I calmed my breathing, I began to observe the subtle sounds in the room. There was leg crossing and uncrossing, stomachs gurgling, nazal whistling and throat lozenges being tongued. Later, I learned that this process was called centering.

Centering continued for about 10-15 minutes and I began worrying who, if anyone, was keeping the time. I was bored, confused and unsure about whether or not I was going to throw up or shit myself.

When a person finally felt moved by god, I was startled. A small woman told a story about raising funds for a meal program and concluded that god had a part in it. Several minutes later, a woman read some of the bible. Several more minutes later, a man talked about how he had tried on different faiths and always returned to Quakerism because it made the most sense (-me not buying it). Then, a man who was clearly deranged, launched into a rant about fetal alcohol syndrome and how a man with the symtoms of FAS recently killed 4 people in the states. He said some other stuff, but what stood out most is that god had a message for him and it was to, "ATTACK."

Soon after this unsettling display, a woman stood up, welcomed us and then we all starting shaking hands and saying, "Welcome," and "Good morning," to eachother. Apparently, this was the time keeper. She read some community announcements and invited everyone downstairs for coffee.

My hands were shaking when I poured my first (of three) cups of coffee. I got into a few in depth conversations with people who clearly recognized my friend and I as nubees.

Promise of Heaven/Salvation: As liberal Quakers, this friendship society does not necessarily believe in direct reward and punishment, heaven and hell, or the second coming of Christ. :(

Space: The exterior of the building is pictured above. Inside, there were about forty mismatched chairs arranged in a circle, facing a coffee table with four holy bibles on it.




Free Food: coffee and pastries...although I was unable to stomach the food this time around.

Equity Policy: Peace church...love everyone...although they are only human... so Im sure hate lives somewhere in them.

Community Involvement: Not sure about this group's level of activity...seemed pretty insular

$$$$$(cost): no mention

Participants (looks, conversation, etc.): Kind, smiley, old and used big words like osmosis

Blind Faith Factor (BFF/WOW factor):
4
^I dug the quiet, it was a grounding exercise. Given the opportunity to focus on my breathing, I avoided throwing up.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I want to be your friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this!

    There are many branches of Quakerism, including that some that are more Christian than others, and have what you would call more mainstream beliefs.

    ReplyDelete